Dead Pool 28th May 2017
Welcome to a slightly pared down version of the newsletter. Due to the events in Manchester recently, not so many celebrity stories graced the editorial pages. However, we do have points to award, namely 61 points to Jemm, Wendy & Millie for correctly predicting the sad loss of Sir Roger Moore.
Look Who You Could Have Had:
- Lisa Spoonauer, 44, American actress (Clerks).
- Kenny Cordray, 62, American guitarist and songwriter, shot.
- Sir Roger Moore, 89, English actor (The Spy Who Loved Me, The Persuaders!, The Saint), cancer.
- Jared Martin, 75, American actor (Dallas, War of the Worlds, Aenigma), pancreatic cancer.
- Gregg Allman, 69, American Hall of Fame singer-songwriter (“Ramblin’ Man“, “Midnight Rider“) and musician (The Allman Brothers Band).
In Other News
Kim Woo-Bin, the South Korean actor and model, has been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, his talent agency SidusHQ confirmed in a statement on Tuesday. The Uncontrollably Fond star, who starred in breakout roles on KBS drama School in 2013 and 2013’s majorly popular The Heirs, is now battling nasopharyngeal cancer, a rare head and neck cancer that affects fewer than one in every 100,000 people in North America, although more common in parts of Asia, according to the American Cancer Society. He made the discovery after a hospital visit after reportedly feeling “abnormalities in his body.” Fortunately, Kim Woo-Bin seems to have found the cancer early, and has already begun treatment and radiation therapy. Kim Woo-Bin was set to start filming a new movie called Wiretap in July, but the film company confirmed that they’ll be pushing back the filming until he regains his health.
Actress Sarah Hyland has asked for privacy as she battles personal health issues that have been impacting her weight. The Modern Family star has appeared thinner of late, sparking concerns she may be suffering from an eating disorder, but the 26-year-old insists she’s struggling with an illness that has wreaked havoc on her body. “I haven’t had the greatest year,” Sarah wrote in a series of notes on Twitter on Wednesday. “Maybe one day I’ll talk about it, but for now I’d like my privacy. “I will say that this year has brought a lot of changes and with that, physical changes. I have been told that I can’t work out, which, for me, is very upsetting.” Alluding to a medical diagnosis, the actress went on to reveal she has been forced to follow strict doctor’s orders. “I’ve basically been on bed rest for the past few months, I’ve lost a lot of muscle mass,” she shared. “My circumstances have put me in a place where I’m not in control of what my body looks like.” Sarah insists her weight loss is an unfortunate byproduct of the illness, adding she has been taking life-saving medication that has contributed to her extreme weight fluctuation.
On This Day
- 585 BC – A solar eclipse occurs, as predicted by the Greek philosopher and scientist Thales, while Alyattes is battling Cyaxares in the Battle of Halys, leading to a truce. This is one of the cardinal dates from which other dates can be calculated.
- 1588 – The Spanish Armada, with 130 ships and 30,000 men, sets sail from Lisbon, Portugal, heading for the English Channel. (It will take until May 30 for all ships to leave port.)
- 1937 – Volkswagen (VW), the German automobile manufacturer is founded.
- 1951 – The British radio comedy program The Goon Show is broadcast on the BBC for the first time.
- 1849 – Anne Brontë, English novelist and poet (b. 1820)
- 1972 – Edward VIII of the United Kingdom (b. 1894)
- 1984 – Eric Morecambe, English actor and comedian (b. 1926)
- 2003 – Martha Scott, American actress (b. 1912)
- 2010 – Gary Coleman, American actor (b. 1968)
Last Week’s Birthdays
Joseph Fiennes (47), Paul Bettany (46), Jack McBrayer (44), Louis Gossett Jr. (81), Helena Bonham Carter (51), Pam Grier (68), Bobcat Goldthwait (55), Philip Michael Thomas (68), Lenny Kravitz (53), Stevie Nicks (69), Doug Jones (57), John C. Reilly (52), Alfred Molina (64), Jim Broadbent (68), James Cosmo (69), Gary Burghoff (74), Priscilla Presley (72), Tommy Chong (79), Bob Dylan (76), Eric Cantona (51), Joan Collins (84), Melissa McBride (52), Drew Carey (59), Ginnifer Goodwin (39), Naomi Campbell (47), Judge Reinhold (60), Noel Fielding (44), Belladonna (36) and Mr. T (65).