Dead Pool 26th November 2017
Afternoon Poolers. Surprisingly, no points this week, we were pretty sure some of you had Charles Manson, however he slipped through the net this year. Not to worry though, there are plenty more potentially dead celebrities on the casting couch.
Look Who You Could Have Had:
- Earle Hyman, 91, American actor (The Cosby Show, ThunderCats, The Lady from Dubuque).
- Salvatore Riina, 87, Italian mobster, capo of the Sicilian Mafia, sepsis.
- Charles Manson, 83, American criminal (Tate murders), songwriter (Lie: The Love and Terror Cult) and cult leader (Manson Family).
- Jana Novotná, 49, Czech tennis player, cancer.
- Rodney Bewes, 79, British actor (The Likely Lads, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?) and writer (Dear Mother…Love Albert).
- David Cassidy, 67, American pop singer (“Cherish“, “How Can I Be Sure“) and actor (The Partridge Family), liver failure.
In Other News
Manchester United captain Michael Carrick has revealed he has not played since September because of an irregular heart rhythm. The 36-year-old has played just once this season, in the 4-1 win against Burton in the Carabao Cup third round on 20th September. Carrick says he “felt strange” during the second half of the game and after tests had a cardiac ablation procedure. He said in a statement: “I’m healthy and back training hard with the team.” The England midfielder says he was “monitored closely” and “aiming to be back in contention for selection soon.” The British Heart Foundation says an ablation is a treatment that aims to control or correct certain types of abnormal heart rhythms. Carrick joined Manchester United from Tottenham in 2006 and has won five Premier League titles, the Champions League, Europa League and Fifa Club World Cup with the club.
Ant McPartlin has returned to television screens following his stint in rehab – with I’m a Celebrity co-host Declan Donnelly joking he had been replaced. The presenting duo opened with a joke talking about Ant’s return. “It’s me and the gorgeous Holly Willoughby!” joked Dec. “Wait, no! Guys that’s the wrong script! You’ve put the wrong script in!” He followed with: “No one was sure if you’d make it!’” McPartlin thanked fans for their support and said: “I was always going to make it, come on. I’m back my friend”, as the two hugged. McPartlin in June admitted to going into rehab for painkiller addiction. The problem is believed to have stemmed from a knee operation in 2015. The presenter, 42, who celebrated his birthday over the weekend, tweeted to fans: “Aaaaaaannnddd, we’re off!! It’s good to be back. Enjoy! A”.
Scotland Yard is investigating a new allegation of sexual assault made against Kevin Spacey. The claim was made on Friday and alleges an assault took place on a man in Lambeth in 2005. It was made the same day the Old Vic released the results of an internal investigation – the theatre said it received 20 personal testimonies of alleged inappropriate behaviour!!! This new claim is in addition to a 2008 assault being investigated by the Met. Scotland Yard confirmed officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command are investigating the complaint. The theatre said it “truly apologises” for not creating a culture where people felt able to speak freely after those affected said they “felt unable to raise concerns”, and that he “operated without sufficient accountability”. Sounds exactly the same as the BBC’s statement once Jimmy Savile was outed.
And finally, British model Demi Rose Mawby has been left fearing for her safety after being repeatedly propositioned by delivery men. The 22 year old – who was romantically linked to Kylie Jenner’s ex Tyga – said she was “really pissed off” and would no longer have packages delivered to her London home. The Birmingham-born model said she had twice been propositioned by delivery men after she gave her name, address and phone number when ordering goods for her new address. “I’m sick of it, it’s not safe for me, I don’t understand what I’m meant to do. I’m just a girl – I just want to get things ordered. Today or tomorrow I could open the door to the wrong person.” Demi Rose said a delivery man asked for her phone number after he dropped off a cat climber at her home on Thursday. She said it happened as she accepted the delivery in her gym gear – and he abused her personal details to text her even after she rebuffed his advances. Demi Rose tweeted: “I’ve been safe so far but that’s what why I’m stopping all deliveries to my house because it does take one sick person to go a step further.” The model has rocketed to fame over the past few years and has been dubbed the UK’s “Queen of Instagram”. I wonder if the thought that the delivery man didn’t even know who she was entered her mind?
On This Day
- 1922 – Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first people to enter the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.
- 1970 – In Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, 1.5 inches (38.1 mm) of rain fall in a minute, the heaviest rainfall ever recorded.
- 1976 – “Anarchy in the U.K.”, the debut single of the Sex Pistols, is released, heralding the arrival of punk rock.
- 1983 – Brink’s-Mat robbery: In London, 6,800 gold bars worth nearly £26 million are stolen from the Brink’s-Mat vault at Heathrow Airport.
- 2003 – The Concorde makes its final flight, over Bristol, England.
- 1860 – Benjamin Greene, English brewer, founded Greene King (b. 1780)
- 1926 – John Browning, American weapons designer, founded the Browning Arms Company (b. 1855)
- 1996 – Michael Bentine, English actor and screenwriter (b. 1922)
Last Week’s Birthdays
Christina Applegate (46), Billy Burke (51), John Larroquette (70), Bruno Tonioli (62), Mark Frost (64), Sarah Hyland (27), Katherine Heigl (39), Stephen Merchant (43), Denise Crosby (60), Billy Connolly (75), Dwight Schultz (70), Conleth Hill (53), Miley Cyrus (25), Kelly Brook (38), Ricky Whittle (35), Michelle Gomez (51), Scarlett Johansson (33), Mark Ruffalo (50), Mads Mikkelsen (52), Jamie Lee Curtis (59), Terry Gilliam (77), Tom Conti (76), Goldie Hawn (72), Alexander Siddig (52), Björk (52), Carly Rae Jepsen (32), Sean Young (58), Bo Derek (61), Ming-Na Wen (54), Joe Biden (75), Jodie Foster (55), Meg Ryan (56), Terry Farrell (54) and Robert Beltran (64).